Staying Motivated Week 6
Staying Motivated
In one of our videos for week 5, on AIGA Portfolio Making with Dan Mall he mentions practicing design everyday. He also brings up Kobe Bryant's work ethic and how he became successful by practicing everyday. I don't know anything about basketball, but I was curious to read up more on Kobe's work ethic and I was really impressed. He knew from the age of 13 that he wanted to be the best basketball player out there and he started waking up at 5 am, practicing for 2 hours before school and then practicing for 2 more hours after school everyday. He focused on different foundational skills, one by one over few months at a time. That's crazy discipline for a 13 year old.
I've been pretty unmotivated these days and I've known for a long time you can't wait to be inspired or motivated, that you have to build a habit of practicing to master whatever it is that you want to do. It's been pretty hard because I find a tiny voice in the back of my head that tells me all the stuff I make is pretty shit and it's likely I won't get any better and that I should probably quit. I also can't help compare myself because I feel behind compared to other friends or people in the design industry as a 27 year old. But I'm trying to lift my head up from this doom and gloom and trying to not think of the end goal but just focus on practicing little by little everyday. Even if I don't reach my expectations, I should at least be proud that I tried and built up a habit of practicing everyday. Righhtt??
But my point is I am always really impressed with people who are hardworking and disciplined like my parents who always wake up and do what they have to do. They aren't stirred up by their emotions that could lead them astray. I'd like to be part of that group of people one day.
"Rest at the end, not in the middle"

Comments
Post a Comment