Inspiration (Lorenzo Mattotti) Week 2
· Lorenzo Mattotti ·
I found Lorenzo Mattotti on Pinterest one day and I was instantly drawn to his work and he has definitely become one of my favorite artists. He's a comic book artist and illustrator based in Italy and his work has been published in Cosmopolitan, Vogue, The New Yorker, and Le Monde. He initially started studying architecture in university but he ultimately stopped to pursue his passion in illustration. The way he builds up and layers color with color pencils and oil pastels is breathtaking. He's a master in shape theory, color, and lighting. His composition and the way he poses figures have so much drama. He's the biggest reason I started experimenting in color pencil in hopes to adopt his art style.I want to purchase the comic books he's illustrated for, even if they're in Italian or French, because I love his work so much.There are the Little Free Library book boxes posted throughout my old apartment complex and on a walk I just decided to check it out. Someone left a huge stack of The New Yorker magazines inside and as I flipped through the stack, there was one cover that caught my eye because it looked like Lorenzo Mattotti's style and it was his work. He did the illustration for the cover of July 2022. It made me super excited because I've always wanted a print of his and I honestly was a bit impressed with myself that I was able to recognize his work. By admiring his work, the Pinterest algorithm lead me to other artists who have a similar style such as Andrea Serio who is another Italian artist that makes beautiful work. I do see that Serio follows Mattotti on Instagram so it does make me wonder if Mattotti was a big inspiration in his style because their art style is so similar. But that is just me going into a little spiral. Serio's work is down below.






Comments
Post a Comment